This is not just a Thanksgiving staple, but a year-round favorite. It is so good you won’t even miss the macaroni! This recipe is from a great site called Beyond Diet .
Cauliflower "no mac" -n- cheese
This is a favorite in my house and a Thanksgiving staple.
Author: Beyond Diet
Recipe type: Sides
- 8 c. cauliflower, fresh, organic
- 2 tbs. butter, unsalted, organic, raw or unpasteurized, grass-fed/pastured
- 3 tbs. flour, spelt, whole-grain, organic (May substitute gluten-free thickener)
- 2 c. milk, full-fat, raw, grass-fed or pastured cows, organic
- 1 clove garlic, fresh, organic
- 2 c. cheddar cheese, mild, raw, organic
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper, powder, organic
- 2 egg, yolk, free-range or cage free, organic
- ⅔ c. breadcrumbs, made from sprouted whole-grain bread, organic (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Steam the cauliflower florets until tender in a pot of lightly salted water for about 6 minutes, then drain.
- In a medium sauce pan, melt the butter and whisk in flour and cook for 1 full minute, whisking constantly. Add minced garlic and milk, stirring constantly over medium heat until mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat and stir in shredded cheddar cheese, cayenne pepper, and egg yolks, whisking constantly until smooth.
- Butter a 9x13 glass pan, add cauliflower and pour cheese sauce over the cauliflower making sure to coat the pieces well. Sprinkle with bread crumbs and bake at 350°F for 30 minutes.
You can make this gluten/grain-free by using arrowroot starch or some other thickener instead of spelt flour and substituting crushed nuts, or omitting completely, the bread crumbs on top.